Friday, January 17, 2014

Using Blogs in the K-12 Classroom

As a teacher in a 4th-5th grade classroom, I find it important to use a blog that is user-friendly if my intention is for student usage.  I have a Kidblog and each of my students has their own page.  I like this particular blog because it is free, it is safe, I can adjust the privacy for maximum security where I (the teacher) approve everything that gets posted, and THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT (this is a biggie for me because we have 10 iPods in our classroom).

1.  Vodcasts: Students can create vodcasts by using the video recorder on the iPod and directly post it to their blog page.  

2.  Collaboration:  This can be done on a small scale with students in the classroom or can become global by collaborating with classrooms around the world on projects, activities, and any other academic ventures. 

3.  Problem Solving:  Students can create problems and share them with others.  This opens a dialogue and enhances their 21st Century Skills as they communicate, collaborate, and problem solve with others.   

4.  Digital Archives: Students can archive their digital projects on their personalized blog page.  This allows for easy access, viewing, and commentary from others.

5.  Resources:  Resources can be provided in one location that is easily accessible for students.  This allows the teacher control the content that is available in order to ensure validity and appropriateness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment